Did you know that 1 in 4 adults in the United States has a disability? Yet, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 81% of people with disabilities are not part of the workforce.
At Carlson Partners, we want to help break down barriers to inclusion by supporting local organizations that work to create greater access to our community. This is why we chose to sponsor Lifeworks Services, a nonprofit serves more than 3,000 people with disabilities and their families each year.
Our investment makes it possible for Lifeworks to continue developing high-quality, innovative services that honor individual choice while advancing accessibility. For example, they recently launched Self-Directed Resource Navigation, a service designed to provide self-advocacy training and guidance for youth transitioning to adulthood – so that they can direct future support needs. From career exploration to virtual music therapy and customized learning activities, Lifeworks is paving the way for increased opportunities and greater community connections – and we encourage you to support these efforts through allyship.
Be an Ally
Wondering what you can do to support disability inclusion? Help us break down barriers and ensure that all people are represented by taking the following action steps:
- Use person-first language. Emphasize the person, not the disability by using phrases such as “a person with” or “a person who has.”
- Include people with disabilities in conversations and social gatherings.
- Do not lower expectations or make assumptions about competence, character, or happiness based on ability.
- Stay informed on topics impacting people with disabilities.
- Share information about disabilities with family and friends.
As a local company, Carlson Partners cares deeply about breaking down barriers and building a sense of belonging in the communities that we serve. We are proud to support Lifeworks and to champion disability inclusion. To learn more, visit: lifeworks.org/